Thursday, September 18, 2008

Behind the scenes ...

Part of a phone conversation last week with Graves County coach Mike Rogers, before his game with Marshall County, produced this friendly exchange:

Rogers: "You are wrong a lot of times on our games. It doesn't matter if you pick us to win or lose."

Fosko: "Well, I'm picking you this week."

Rogers: "Don't tell me that. I like it when you pick against us."

The Eagles made me look smart last week, beating Marshall. I'm taking the Eagles this week against Mayfield, too, although the only predictable thing about the Mayfield-Graves rivalry is its unpredictability.

Not that Rogers is the only area coach that doesn't mind using my picks as motivation. Al Starnes at Crittenden County has been kidding me about it for years, and there have been weeks he's all but begged me to pick against the Rockets.

Back to Rogers ... I told him on Thursday that I may just ride his surprise team for the rest of the year. His response: "We're playing Daviess County next week. You're not picking us."

Well, he might be right about that ...

No comments: